Pages

9.01.2014

Daniel at 6

These kids.

They are out of control...

...growing up right before my very eyes.


It seems that just a few days ago he was still a tiny tot.

Now he's over 3 1/2 feet tall (though still under 40 lbs... fruits and veggies remain his very favorite foods) and headed off to his first full week of kindergarten tomorrow.

And, as of yesterday, he's six.  SIX.



Thankfully while he got a hearty laugh that I couldn't believe he was so grown up, he still has his tender moments.  As he clutched his birthday gift and let me snap a few pictures, I gave a bewildered, "Buddy, how can you be getting so old..." comment.  He melted my heart with, "Don't worry Mommy, I'm still 5 1/2 until after we get home from church.  Then I'll turn 6.  So I'm still 5 1/2 for a lil' bit.  You can still hug me now when I'm 5."

If only a polite request truly made time slow down.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved each and every stage and age just as much, if not more, than the last.  But there is something about watching those preschool years slip into the past...

At any rate, the day was spent attending church, swimming at the pool, and being joined for dinner by friends that may as well be family.  No official party this year, but this kid soaks up his time at the center of the story and beamed as we sang Happy Birthday to him.  And the highlight of his evening?  Getting the first slice of his self selected strawberry cake with vanilla frosting.


As a new six year old, Daniel still loves his trains, cars and planes.  Thomas (Thomas the Tank Engine) Lightning McQueen (Cars) El Chupacabra and Dusty Crophopper (Planes) still make frequent trips with us everywhere we go.
My boy is also starting to show a more grown up side of car appreciation and can now correctly identify "Ca-air-ohs" (Cameros), "Gorvettes" (Corvettes), "Stingrays" (Mustangs), and Chargers from amazing distances.  In fact his love affair with muscle cars runs so deep right now that his main gift from us was a remote control yellow "Ca-air-oh" with black stripes that looks just like Bumblebee from Transformers.
Chocolate has become a sought after treat, but he still typically chooses any fruit over sweets (especially watermelon, cantaloupe or blueberries) and we actually have to tell him frequently at meals that he can't have any more tomatoes or cucumbers until he eats his protein.
Soccer is his game right now, but he seems to have an innate knack for most any sport and would like to give basketball and tennis a try.
He was ready to head off to school last fall though I'm so grateful we made the decision to have him at home one more year.  He and Natalie became the best of buddies and he got an extra year to develop more maturity.  He's been reading his way through the BOB book series and truly can't wait for the new challenges of kindergarten.
What makes Daniel though is his snuggle power.  This kid is one that thrives on the power of touch and frequently through his day will have what I call a Piglet moment when he comes over and either gives a spontaneous hug, kiss or "I love you,"  almost as if to "be sure of you."  I pray this aspect of his personality doesn't fade into memory as he gets a little older.

Daniel, at the age of six, you are so very loved.  I often marvel at the miracle you are, and the miracle God worked for you to be our peanut.  Each day with you is a treasure and I am the richer for them...

To the moon and back,
Mommy

No comments: