Pages

9.06.2014

A diva, a soccer tournament, and just plain fun

This summer.

It went by so fast.

So very fast.

I can hardly believe that school has already started.  And that I have a third grader, two second graders and a kindergartener.  (gasp!)

Now that it is a little quieter around here...for a few hours a day anyway...I've got to do a push to catch up on what kept me away from my trusty little Mac most of the summer.

So.  We kicked off summer by heading to Fancy Gap, VA for a camping trip over Father's Day weekend.  The kids and I were home from Sunday night until Thursday when we headed down to Mama's after swim practice.

Our purpose was three-fold.  A 5K obstacle run, a state soccer tournament, and some time to hang out with cousins sandwiching both events.

Shortly after Easter I decided it was time to get running again.  But after going though the training last fall and not completing a race, I knew myself well enough to know that if I didn't register for something I'd probably stop when sleep began to seem more inviting than my early morning jogs.  The weekend I wanted to run presented two options, one here and one down near Mom's.  Making the drive down for a weekend sounded like a good excuse to let the kids enjoy a few days with their cousins, and I managed to talk a dear friend from the area to run with me.

Sadly I have no pictures from the Diva Dash beyond this of my shirt and bib.
 Amanda and I didn't set any time records, but we completed all the obstacles and even got to catch up a bit when I wasn't sucking wind as we ran.  It was mighty hot that day, but I enjoyed the challenge and hope to do another obstacle run in the near future.

It also happened to work out that Caleb's soccer team was participating in the State Powerade Games that weekend.  So Saturday morning I headed to the Diva Dash and Ian carted Caleb off to join the Big Dogs for their first game of the tournament.


He played well and they won the first game.


But by the second, when I arrived "fresh" from the Diva Dash, the boys struggled to stay standing in the oppressive humidity.

Did I mention it was HOT?

In the end, after four games over the weekend, they were exhausted and had played their little hearts out.


But there was still enough energy to stand and collect their bronze medals.

actually we later found out that the gold medal team (who had squeaked out a win against us) was disqualified due to over age players.  (i remember commenting that day at how big some of those kids were)  so we actually should have come home with the silver medal.
The boys didn't care that bronze meant third place.  To them a medal was a medal and they were ecstatic.


Actually, for all Caleb was concerned, they could have not medaled at all and he still would have considered the weekend AWESOME.  Because a soccer tournament in Grandma's town meant a weekend with his cousin.

And off the field there was plenty of time for us all to catch up with folks we don't see often enough...

The athletic events may have brought us to town, but time with family made the trip worthwhile!

We spent time playing games ~ like dominos ~ together,


having sleepovers on bedroom floors,


enjoying campfires with hot dogs,


and s'mores,


letting loose with a little light-saber action,


and swimming in the pool...


...lots...


...and lots...


...of time in and around the pool...


...followed with a few quick photo shoots of seven of the cutest cousins around.


It was a great second weekend to the summer!

2 comments:

Grandma Shultz said...

Loved the time that you spent here with me. Was proud of all of you young ladies who did the Diva Dash. Enjoyed giving out t-shirts as a volunteer for it.

Having the 7 grandchildren together was the best of all. Amazing how close they are and the wonderful imaginations that they all have. Never gets tiring just watching them. And yes, I had fun in the pool with them...when I wasn't getting splashed! Why is it that children just want you to get your hair wet! hahaha

Grandma Shultz said...

Loved the time that you spent here with me. Was proud of all of you young ladies who did the Diva Dash. Enjoyed giving out t-shirts as a volunteer for it.

Having the 7 grandchildren together was the best of all. Amazing how close they are and the wonderful imaginations that they all have. Never gets tiring just watching them. And yes, I had fun in the pool with them...when I wasn't getting splashed! Why is it that children just want you to get your hair wet! hahaha